Huntington Ingalls Industries Junior Software Engineer in Fort Meade, Maryland
What you will be working on:
As a Junior Software Engineer (SWE), you will work with a software engineering team to design, plan, develop, integrate, automate, document, and maintain software components and services for a variety of customers and applications.
You will work out of the HII-TSD (formerly G2, Inc) building located in Annapolis Junction, MD.
A summary of your additional responsibilities is as follows:
● Apply your skills to the analysis, assessment, design, development, integration, installation, automation, documentation, and implementation of software solutions
● Evaluate and select Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) and Free Open Source Software (FOSS) products and integrate them with COTS, FOSS, and proprietary components
● Contribute to work performed in: interoperability, monitoring, performance testing/optimization, and application security
● Collaborate with other engineering teams
What you need:
● At least two (2) years of recent experience designing, implementing, integrating, documenting, automating, monitoring, and/or managing software components, services, and systems of various sizes (e.g., small, large)
● At least two (2) years of recent experience developing software for Linux-based environments
● A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, OR 2 additional years of relevant experience in lieu of degree
● Strong collaboration skills
● Ability to be flexible and adaptable
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
● Experience creating documentation, workflows, and diagrams
● Due to the nature of the work we do at HII, all employees must be U.S. Citizens and must be able to obtain a security clearance
What we would like you to have:
● 2+ years of experience with object oriented design and object oriented programming in Java
● Experience designing, implementing, deploying, and managing web applications and supporting services
● An understanding of containers and virtualization technologies, standards, best practices, and implementations
● Familiarity with Docker and/or Kubernetes
● Familiarity with agile methodologies and tools
● General knowledge of Cloud Management
● Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
● Automation experience
● Experience with Ansible and/or SaltStack
● Experience with the software development life cycle (SDLC), including requirements analysis, design, implementation, and testing
● Familiarity with Jenkins
● Experience managing source code and builds
● Familiarity with SQL and NoSQL databases
● A strong understanding of Linux (Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and CentOS)
● DevOps experience a strong plus
● Experience with big data systems and analytic systems is a plus
● Experience applying information assurance and cybersecurity principles to applications and services is a plus
A few of the reasons to work for us:
You can grow with us: Our flexible and collaborative environment encourages our people to challenge themselves and feed their need to learn and grow. We offer $10k towards Professional Development and Education, and Brown Bag sessions covering a wide variety of topics.
You can retire sooner rather than later: We match up to 8% of your 401k contributions which you are vested in 100% day one.
Work - life balance is real: In addition to the ability to work flexible hours, you’ll get up to 7 weeks of PTO which is based upon your total years’ experience. For every year you’re with G2, you’ll enjoy an additional day of PTO.
Not quite ready to apply? TAKE THE NEXT STEP and GET CONNECTED or reach out to us at Recruiting@g2-inc.com to take a less formal approach.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.If you are seeking reasonable accommodation as it relates to the employment process, please contact the recruiting department at (410) 290-9710 or firstname.lastname@example.org